Communitech and partners to transform the “Future of Health”
Collaborative aims to advance health care through made-in-Canada tech solutions
KITCHENER, ONT., September 19, 2022 — Communitech’s Future of Health collaborative, with the support of their lead partner, Manulife, has issued a call for solutions to identify Canadian tech firms with appropriate innovations to help overcome the biggest hurdles facing our health care systems. Selected startups, scale-ups and at-scale organizations will have the opportunity to develop integrative solutions to potentially pilot with acute health care groups such as the Grand River Hospital Network, CAN Health Network, long-term care organizations, clinicians and health authorities.
“The core of our mission at Communitech has always been to connect people and facilitate collaboration,” said Joel Semeniuk, Vice President of Ecosystem Collaboration at Communitech. “The Future of Health collaborative was formed because we know that the challenges facing our health care system can only be tackled by the power of innovation.”
After completing initial discoveries and brainstorming sessions with the help of both health care operators as well as Manulife, the Future of Health collaborative has issued a nationwide call for digital solutions focused on:
- Systems Design: The accessibility and processes of our systems from investment through to procurement are long, arduous and frustrating. To further achieve growth, retain talent and achieve success, how might a streamlined and cohesive framework be designed?
- Interoperability: Canada’s health care system is comprised of care teams fragmented from communicating or data-sharing with one another. How should a unilateral system to improve patient experience and outcomes, alleviate wait times and reduce workload be developed?
- Equity: In a large country like Canada, there are many citizens suffering as a result of an inability to access adequate care. How might an equitable system of accessibility encapsulating the physical, geographical and socio-cultural needs of Canadian patients be designed?
- Prevention: Canada’s health care system and its operations networks are in crisis. How should a system be developed to prioritize primary and preventative health care - with careful emphasis on early intervention to mitigate the need for acute care?
“As a company whose mission is to make decisions easier and lives better, and as a key stakeholder in Canada’s health care landscape, we are delighted to be the lead sponsor for Communitech’s Future of Health Collaborative”, says Kim MacFarlane, Vice-President of Group Benefits Products and Digital Experiences at Manulife. “These types of programs that call for solutions to pressing issues are necessary to ensure we remain innovative and forward-looking as we tackle the critical health care problems of not only those we face today, but those in the future.”
Startups with solutions to these challenges are encouraged to submit an application to Communitech’s Future of Health online portal. Successful applicants will receive dedicated coaching from one of Communitech’s seasoned growth coaches as well as introductions to health care providers, organizations and potential customers. Companies will also have a chance at pitching their solutions to key champions of innovation in the Canadian health care industry at the Future of Health Showcase event taking place on December 13, 2022.
For more information on Communitech and the Future of Health Collaborative, please visit: https://communitech.ca/how-we-help/future-of-health-call-for-solutions.html.
- 30 -
For more information or media inquiries, please contact:
Public Relations Specialist, Communitech
Established in 1997 in Waterloo Region, Communitech was built by tech founders who saw the need for a community of support to help ensure the future prosperity of Canada. Today, Communitech is Canada’s leading innovation hub, supporting a community of more than 1,200 founders by providing accelerated opportunities to access talent, capital and sales.
As Canada’s tech supercharger, Communitech helps founders start, grow and succeed by:
- Hiring and retaining the smartest, brightest and most experienced people
- Accessing growth financing at every stage
- Selling to the biggest customers at home and around the world
- Connecting the right people at the right time – peers who have been there before, coaches who can guide them through the difficult spots and partners from all over Canada